EYF Job Shadowing
Job shadowing is a great way to find out more about future career options and to see what a day in the life of a profession is like.
Job Shadow Application Process
Job shadow opportunities will be communicated to all school partners and outreach organizations.
For questions or inquiries about your job shadow application, please send all inquiries to Jobs@westarenergy.com or call HR One Call at 785-575-1147. For email inquiries, please use the subject header of “Job Shadow Application – Your Last Name”.
Job Shadow Participant Eligibility
Below are basic eligibility guidelines for participation in the job shadow program.
- Enrolled high school student (target ages 15 and up)
- Student who graduated within the past six months from high school
- Student must be from an identified or targeted partnership/outreach school
- Student must apply for selection into the Job Shadow Program
- Student should be identified by the school’s outreach contact as possessing the following skills:
- Good attendance record at school;
- Strong work ethic;
- Strong communication skills (active listening, following instructions, etc);
- Positive attitude;
- Awareness of appropriate/professional attire; and
- Passion for learning and open to receiving constructive feedback/direction.
Job Shadow Expectations
Each job shadow participant will be expected to adhere to the following guiding principles and will be evaluated on their active participation in the program. This is to provide feedback to the student and the school regarding program effectiveness and to help the student learn and grow. Westar will also seek and welcome all feedback regarding the student’s experience to continually enhance the program experience.
Each school may have its own evaluation template that will be used. Westar Energy will focus on providing feedback in one or more of the following areas:
- Job knowledge: learn and absorb information about their targeted job shadow position to the fullest extent.
- Positive attitude: have a positive attitude every day.
- Be safe: be safe while observing and go home just the way you came.
- On time: be on time every day and call ahead if you are running late.
- Courteous: be courteous, smile and treat people with respect.
- Ask questions: be willing to ask any question, there is no such thing as a “bad” question.
- Integrity/trustworthy: be honest, have integrity and live by these core values daily.
- Have fun and learn: get everything you can out of this experience.
Westar Energy is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer | Minority | Female | Disabled | Veteran