Leavenworth Transmission Project
In the past few years, the need for access to low cost energy has increased in northeast Kansas. Recent studies of the transmission system have identified the need to replace an existing power line connecting a substation west of Lansing to one northwest of Weston, Missouri, at Iatan Generation Station. The new replacement line between these two substations will allow better access to low cost energy sources and also keep energy in your area and northeast Kansas reliable.
The map below shows the preferred route for the new power line in yellow. This is a $28-million-dollar investment in the Leavenworth area.
- Provide additional access to lower cost energy sources
- Improve power grid reliability overall
- Enable economic growth
- Strengthen the regional transmission grid
About the Line
The route must be known before engineers can determine the correct structure types to use, but the structures will likely be:
- Steel poles
- Average length between poles – 800 ft.
- Average structure height – 120-160 ft.
Potential routes were analyzed to determine the best route that would minimize adverse impacts to residents, their land and the natural environment, be technically viable, and be cost-effective. Input received from residents in the area also helped us determine which of these routes should be selected as the preferred route. The siting study report that includes the preferred route and all the feedback from stakeholders was submitted to the Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC) as part of Westar's Siting Permit application on August 17, 2016. The KCC has a 120-day process to determine the final route for this project which Westar must follow.
Their process includes opportunities for public input. The Commission will accept comments regarding the case through Sept. 29, 2016. Be sure to reference Docket No. 17-WSEE-063-STG. There are three ways to submit a comment:
- Go to the KCC website (www.kcc.ks.gov) to enter your comment. Click on the link under Your Opinion Matters.
- Send a written letter to the Kansas Corporation Commission, Office of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, 1500 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka, KS 66604 4027.
- Call the Commission's Public Affairs office at 1 800-662-0027.
Keeping You Informed
We thank you for your interest in the project. Martha Long is available to help you as your dedicated Westar representative for this project. You may reach her at (785) 575-1989, by email at Martha.Long@westarenergy.com