The Westar Energy Green Team is a group of employee and retiree volunteers that take on environmental projects across Kansas.
Green team projects
Completing 50 to 70 projects per year on weekends and evenings, the Green Team collaborates with conservation groups, agencies and schools in enhancing and fostering an understanding of the Kansas environment.
Since 1989, the Green Team has:
- Planted tens of thousands of trees
- Restored prairie by planting native grasses and forbs
- Removed invasive trees
- Partnered on environmental education publications
- Erected small-scale wind turbines for educational purposes
- Built trails, wetlands, bridges, boat ramps and look-outs to enhance access and educational opportunities.
Westar's Green Team volunteers conduct guided hunts at Jeffrey Energy Center for youths who have never harvested a turkey, dove or deer. Emphasis is on safety and having a good learning experience.The hunts are held in early April for spring turkeys, September for doves, and the December and January rifle seasons for deer. Hunters must apply and be accepted in order to participate.
Those with experienced mentors are encouraged to pursue hunting opportunities on their own to leave the limited Jeffrey hunt spaces for novice youths and their adult mentors.
- Westar Energy at times will call upon the public to help at events.
- Oftentimes, we will post photos and a recap of completed events on Facebook.
- The Green Team welcomes project ideas and partnering opportunities. Please contact Green Team coordinator, Ben Postlethwait.