Overnight storms cause outages throughout Westar Energy service area
Some customers may be without electricity until Friday evening
TOPEKA, Kan., June 5, 2014 – Severe storms moved through Kansas last night and this morning causing wide spread power outages that are affecting our customers. Westar and contractor crews have been working on restoration since late last night. Westar has reached out to Iowa, Missouri and Oklahoma for assistance.
These storms caused outages for more than 12,000 of our customers and many were caused by damage that affected just one or a few homes. Power is restored to almost 75 percent of those affected, but for our customers who are still without electricity, it could be late Friday for some of them.
Downed power lines are among the damage that is being repaired. We want to remind people to always assume a line is energized and to never go near a downed power line. They should report them immediately.
Specific details for areas impacted:
- In Salina, we have about 2,000 customers still without electricity, and it may be about 7 p.m. Friday before electricity is restored to all customers. Damage in the area includes 24 poles down.
- In Topeka, we have about 1,200 customers still without electricity and restoration may take until 5 p.m. Friday for some customers. With high winds in the city, crews are repairing many downed wires.
- For customers in southeast Kansas, restoration is expected to be complete by 9 p.m. today.
- In northeast Kansas, power should be fully restored by 6 p.m. today.
- Forecasts for the next 48 hours show the possibility for more storms in the same area. Westar asks that customers be prepared for further weather-related outages.
Westar Energy, Inc. (NYSE: WR) is Kansas’ largest electric utility. For more than a century, we have provided Kansans the safe, reliable electricity needed to power their businesses and homes. Every day our team of professionals takes on projects to generate and deliver electricity, protect the environment and provide excellent service to our nearly 700,000 customers. Westar has 7,200 MW of electric generation capacity fueled by coal, uranium, natural gas, wind and landfill gas. We are also a leader in electric transmission in Kansas. Our innovative customer service programs include mobile-enabled customer care, a smart meter pilot project and paving the way for electric vehicle adoption. Our employees live, volunteer and work in the communities we serve.
For more information about Westar Energy, visit us on the Internet at WestarEnergy.com. Westar Energy is on Facebook:Facebook.com/YourWestar and Twitter: Twitter.com/WestarEnergy.
Sr. Communications Representative
Media line: 888.613.0003