Westar Energy Foundation
Since its inception in 1990, the Westar Energy Foundation has awarded more than $20 million to civic and charitable organizations dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for Kansans.
The Westar Energy Foundation supports programs that invest in the education of tomorrow’s workforce to ensure that the skills and knowledge required to are available to enable our communities and Westar Energy to thrive in the future.
We will target programs that are designed to support the following focus areas:
- Academic performance of youths -We invest in initiatives that improve students’ educational development from kindergarten to career or vocation.
- STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education – We will support quality programs designed to develop, improve or expand student interest in science, technology, engineering and math related activities and/or careers.
- Workforce development – We will provide key investments that stimulate our community and workforce development which ultimately will help direct potential employees to a utility industry career.
The Foundation president initially reviews requests for contributions for appropriateness and compliance with Foundation guidelines and procedures. Contribution decisions will be based on the merits of each request.
Foundation guidelines and preferences
Preference will be given to requests meeting the following criteria:
- The organization serves children and youths, particularly through educational programs related to enhancing employment opportunities and other programs related to the general well being of the community.
- The Foundation will give primary consideration to contribution requests from organizations recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) organization. Requests for contributions by individuals (not representing a recognized organization or group) generally will not be considered by the Foundation.
In addition to contributions to individuals, the Foundation generally does not give to:
- Building fund drives and tax-supported institutions.
- The Foundation generally will not contribute to tax-supported institutions (either capital fund or operating fund campaigns), requests from organizations located outside the Westar Energy service territory (except in areas of special interest to the Foundation) or to capital campaigns.
Submitting a contribution request
Please use the grant application form when requesting a contribution. Decisions will be based on the merits of each request.
Print a foundation request form
Requests should be submitted to:
Westar Energy Foundation
Attn: Foundation President
P.O. Box 889
Topeka, KS 66601-0089
Telephone: (785) 575-1544
Fax: (785) 575-8119